Chinese New Year (CNY) is only a couple of weeks away and I can’t wait to celebrate it with my family! Much like Christmas or Thanksgiving, there’s always lots of yummy food during this holiday. But of course, the best part is the little red packets, which contains lucky money 🙂 And so, since I’ve already worked on a few projects for Valentine’s Day, how could I forget about CNY?
When I was young, my parents would always buy a few clementines (or mandarin oranges…or tangerines…? they’re pretty much the same thing, right? OK, let’s move on!) and display it on the dinner table as decoration. The clementines are traditional symbols of abundance and good fortune.
- Crochet hook H/5.00mm
- Safety eyes 6mm
- Yarn needle (I use Clover Chibi Bent Tip Needle Set)
- Fiberfill for stuffing
- Any worsted weight yarn, I used the following in my sample:
- The clementine measures approx. 2.75″ in height.
- Do not join or turn unless stated.
- Gauge is not essential – just keep your tension consistent throughout.
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sc2tog = single crochet 2 together / sc decrease
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
rep = repeat
* – * = repeat instructions between asterisks as many times as directed
With orange yarn, start with a magic ring, ch 1 to secure ring.
Round 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6)
Round 2: 2 sc in each st around (12)
Round 3: *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st*, rep * – * around (18)
Round 4: *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 2 sts*, rep * – * around (24)
Round 5-6: 1 sc in each st around (24)
Round 7: *sc2tog, 1 sc in next 2 sts*, rep * – * around (18)
Round 8: *sc2tog, 1 sc in next st*, rep * – * around (12)
Place safety eyes, around 3 to 4 stitches apart. Stuff with fiberfill.
Round 9: sc2tog around to close (6)
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Change to green yarn.
Round 1: Ch 6, sc in second ch from hook, *hdc, dc, hdc*, 2 sc in last st. This completes one side of the leaf. Continuing on the other side; sc in next st, rep * – * 1 time, sc in last st. (11 sc)
Do not join or turn.
Round 2: Ch 7, sc in second ch from hook, *hdc, dc, dc, hdc*, 2 sc in last st. This completes one side of the leaf. Continuing on the other side; sc in next st, rep * – * 1 time, sc in last st. Sl st to join. (13 sc)
Fasten off, leaving a yarn tail to sew on to the clementine.
1: Using a yarn needle, weave the green yarn tail through the back of the leaf until you’re at the center of both leaves.
2. Place leaves on top of clementine with option A – place leaves side by side, or option B – place bigger leaf on top of the smaller leaf.
3. (optional) Embroider mouth and/or pink blush just below the eyes.